It’s that time of year again…it’s vacation time (atleast for Drew and I) and while taking time off is a priority in our lives, it can seem far fetched for others. Though the “how-to” of going on vacation is important, what is even more important is the “why.”
Here are THREE KEYS to Unlocking the Magic of Time-off.
1. The Definition: Time-off is equally if not more important than “non-time-off.” Yes that’s right. Taking time away from our everyday routine, roles, and responsibilities allows us to see things differently, experience a different place and space (physically or metaphorically), and give us the time to rest, refresh, and rejuvenate. (Note: time-off/vacation is not defined by where you go, it’s defined by what you do/don’t do)
2. The Paradox: When it appears nothing is happening, everything is happening.
3. The Opportunity: While most of us spend our days taking care of others (clients, co-workers, family, friends, strangers, etc.), time-off is our time…we set aside taking care of others to take care of ourselves. Our ability to be selfish in these moments allow us to be selfless when we return.
So folks, take time-off (whether for 5 mins/day, 5 hours/week, etc.) You may find that it’s the time you spend “away” that brings meaning to the time you have.
Wishing each and everyone of you an amazing week ahead.
*I will be away from Monday November 25th, 2013-Thursday December 5th, 2013…no alarm clock, no emails, no blog posts, no Facebook…let the vacation begin:)
- Ladies (and Gents) Who ________: What’s Your Legacy? - May 15, 2018
- A Letter For Every Mother - April 17, 2018
- Dear Beautiful Soul… - March 28, 2018